How to Build a Strong Relationship with Your Child’s School
Top 5 Tips for Parents:
Take some time to get to know your child’s teachers. It is important for us to know you and your family as we get to know your child. Our goal as a school is to get to know your child as an individual. We recognize that children come to school with many experiences outside of school, and we want your child to feel known, safe and comfortable being themselves. We love to hear about grandma’s visit, your new puppy, a family vacation, or a funny story from the dinner table.
- Work together as a team with the school. Your child’s teachers have educational backgrounds in child development and experience with a wide variety of different ages and developmental stages. However, they don’t know your child at home. When we can share information and work together to discuss behaviors and trends that we see during the day, we can find ways to best help your child feel successful at school.
- Don’t underestimate the value of play. Children are a joy: there’s no doubt about it. It is fascinating to watch as they learn and navigate a complex social world. As adults we often want to interrupt or fix something that doesn’t seem to be going well. Our teachers are knowledgeable about watching and supporting children’s play, and they know that it is healthy and reduces stress for children. During play, children are learning and developing cognitive skills, physical abilities, new vocabulary, social skills and literacy skills. An issue that arises at school is an opportunity for learning and growth for your child, as they navigate their world.
- You are always welcome at school. It is such a treat for students when a parent, aunt, uncle or grandparent comes to our school. When we welcome you into our classroom, it peaks our children’s interest and enriches their learning. We would love to hear about what you do for work, or a hobby you have:are you scuba certified? Do you ride horses or have a car collection? Come read a book or share a personal story – we welcome you!
- Enjoy this partnership. We do not take it lightly that we are caring for your child each day. We embrace the responsibility to love and nurture your child with much care. So often the relationship that parents form with teacher’s is one that is fondly remembered long after the child has grown. We hope you enjoy every moment with us at Tobin Beaudet Schools.
- More ideas? We’d love to hear from you!